In spite of an exceptionally festive and enjoyable New Year's Eve celebration last night, we were up this morning at a reasonable hour and headed down to the Lodge of the Great Northwest and the Silver Creek pool to witness the spectacle that is the Annual Polar Bear Swim.I recognized quite a few swimmers from previous years, clearly people who are not afraid of the near freezing (okay, 52 degree) water. I may have made boastful suggestions that I too would participate in the event during the New Years Eve celebration, but as the noon hour approached, the temperature at 55 degrees had a sobering effect on my decision process. In other words, as my wife might say, I chickened out again.But to those folks participating and to their proud families and neighbors lining the pool, it was another reason why living in this community is so enjoyable.Master of Ceremonies, Jose Morlett prepared the swimmers with instructions while getting the spectators in the crowd into the mood for some splishing and splashing.Meanwhile, members of the local media stood by with cameras rolling and microphones poised to interview the chilly swimmers.At the strike of noon, the first wave of swimmers were off into the cold water and on their way toward warm towels, commemorative t-shirts and cups of hot chocolate inside the lodge.The second wave of swimmers included several brave participants from the first round. Maybe we'll have to start having winter season at the pool if this many people are such fans of the chilly temps!Finally, Silver Creek's first resident, Miss Olivia made an impressive dip of her own, though opting for a much shorter distance. Seniority has its perks!When all the swimmers had gotten the brisk swim out of their systems, Jose made himself available to awaiting reporters eager for details of the history of The Great Northwest and the rich traditions we enjoy.
Need to see more pictures and video of the Polar Bear Swim? Head to Flickr!
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- SA Stock Show & Rodeo BBQ Cook-Off Report...
- Cowboy Breakfast Report: Brrr....
- Important TV Viewing Report: PINK, Chelsea, Howie....
- Bandera, TX: Cowboy Capital Trip Report...
- The Perfect Crime?
- Texas Comforts Oklahoma...
- More Chinese Vittles...
- Car Seats for Big Toddlers...
- The Bread Update: European Cheese & Herb...
- GNW Soccer Fields... If You Sod it, ...
- Lunch Report: Frontline BBQ in Lytle, TX...
- The Bucket is Here, The Bucket is Here!
- Timber Path Construction Update...
- River Walk Construction Update...
- GNWCIA Meeting Reports: My Notes...
- Do They Call it a Chinese Restaurant, if You Are i...
- The Bread Report: Baby I'ma Want You... (sorry)
- Perhaps Miss Manners Can Help...
- Johnny Mathis at the Majestic...
- Dinner Report: Outback at Loop 410 and Evers...
- GNWCIA Meeting Report: Chances Are...
- No, Really; Timber Path is Closed!
- Timber Path is Now Closed!
- Interesting Sightings Near 78250....
- Hole in the Wall Report: Stump's Steak House Grill...
- Comparison Report: TRH vs. Stockyards...
- New Years Day Report: Polar Bear Swim...
- ▼ Jan 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (333)