Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lunch Report: Frontline BBQ in Lytle, TX...

My wife and I were looking for an excuse to take a drive this afternoon and what better reason then to find a place to grab a bite to eat. With all of our treadmill walking and semi-healthy eating, you'd think we were going to wither away if we didn't get some solid grub that didn't involve lettuce. So, I recalled a place we had driven by during a previous adventure to the small town of Lytle, just south of San Antonio.Open less than a year, Frontline BBQ is one of the first places you see when you pull into Lytle on Highway 132 from I-35 South, and the place is visible (so you won't drive right by it) and clean (important when food is involved).

We had missed the lunch rush and that meant we could sit down and chat with the official greeter of people, the brother-in-law of the owner. He was quite an interesting guy who shared our hobby of driving around and seeing different towns and eating at different places.

He told us about how they like to invite bands to come and play at the restaurant and allow folks to bring their own beer to enjoy the good time. Probably a little chilly for that right now, but I could see how it might make for a nice Saturday night in Lytle.
The place is like many others I have seen; picnic tables for seating, a serving line where you can watch them get your meat, then select your sides and grab a dessert before making your way to the register to pay.We were looking to try a few things, so we got a plate with pork ribs, brisket, and chicken (along with another plate of brisket for good measure) and we had potato salad and green beans for sides. Our greeter also suggested we grab some of the beans found in a big warmer in the front of the store, as they were free with our purchase. They were also very good.

My wife enjoyed the potato salad though for my taste it was a tad dry; nothing that a spoonful of mayonnaise and a squirt of mustard wouldn't cure. The green beans were as good as you might get at Rudy's. All of the meats were very reasonable in texture and flavor, and better when doused with the delicious sauce available on the table. The ribs almost fell off the bones.

We really enjoyed our conversation with the greeter and the folks who run the place were very friendly and attentive to us. Perhaps if you find yourself in Lytle, you'll stop in for a bite.

Have you tried Frontline BBQ? Tell me what you thought about them.

No comments:

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites