On our way back from Mission Concepcion, we decided to drive over to Roosevelt Ave and take a gander at an unofficial Mission, the Mission Four Drive-In Theater. Like most San Antonians, we enjoyed many fun evenings, taking our kids to The Mission.
In mid March of this year, the owners of the landmark, Santikos, said that they would not be able to reopen the drive-in, a result of vandals who had come in and just beat the crap out of the place. I'll spare you one of my famous rants about little vandals and taggers that should be shot on sight - after all, they just want to share their artistic abilities with the rest of us - but I will tell you this, I don't blame the owners at all.
So, here it is, a few happy-snaps of the now beat-up and broken drive-in. Even though we hadn't been in several years, it just seems like such a loss. Hell, I don't even like going to the regular movie theaters these days, but the fact that little thugs ruin a good thing for everyone just pisses me off.
Anyway, the good news for those people that might have been using The Mission for a place to, uh, entertain a date with more than just a movie, the ol' Motel El Tejas is still available (probably by the hour) just across the street. According to the sign, in addition to Television and a pool, they have Refrigerated Air, and you sure couldn't get that at the drive-in.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Sad State of Affairs Report: Mission Drive-In...
- Mission Report: Mission Concepcion
- Visit Report: Espada Park...
- Pothole Report: Patch me, Baby...
- GNW Watch Meeting Report: My notes...
- Baby Update: Possible Cygnet Eviction
- Random Report: Quick notes
- Flood Report: Most of us are just Dumbasses
- Rebate Report: Why I will never shop Office Depot ...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Free Advice to Developers...
- Home Cooking Report: Frying Fish
- Must See Place Report: San Antonio Shoe Factory an...
- Shopping Report: Sun Harvest
- A Chance Encounter Report: Meeting the Peña's
- Looking for Big Willy...
- Crappy Job Report: The Time I got Poop in my Eye.....
- Graffiti Report: City Repaints Oscar Perez Memoria...
- Shopping Report: The Shops at Artisans Alley
- Lunch Report: Earl Abel's
- Getting Side Tracked Report: Lourdes Grotto
- Report Update: Queens Cottage...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Minutes...
- Mall Report: Ingram Park...
- Shopping Report: HEB Super Mercado
- Driving Report: McCullough & 35
- HOA Meeting Report: No 4th of July Fireworks, Real...
- Lunch Report: Babes on Fred Road
- GNW Parade Canx'd Due to Rain...
- Alright! We made the Express-News!! Yippie!
- New Store Report: Wal Mart at 1604 & Potranco
- Reader Report: Mission Trace Update
- Do-it-Yourselfer Tip: Don't Lay Tile in the Rain
- Tile Update: Tut Tut, Looks Like Rain...
- ▼ Jul 2007 (34)