My wife and I, still somewhat dismayed at the lack of a parade for the 4th, decided that we should get out of the house and try something new. She had heard about a Pharmacy over on Fredericksburg Road called Queen's Cottage that was like an old style fountain and malt shop. She wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Supposedly, you can have lunch and purchase some souvenirs and such while you wait for your prescriptions. Though I had none needing filling, I was open to some lunch.
Turns out, they were closed for the 4th. Hello? Queen's Cottage? I'm thinking you need to skip the 4th of July celebration.
Anyway, in spite of the fact that it was raining buckets, we figured that we still needed to get something to eat, so in the same strip center we saw Babe's Old Fashioned Hamburgers.
Two things I liked about it from the word go. First, I like a place where you order your meal, then go pick a seat. You never have to complain about the wait staff, and you don't have to go through the entire song and dance of getting the menu, getting drinks, ordering food, waiting, then waiting and waiting for your check (like what happened to us last week at Chili's on 1604 and Culebra). The other thing I liked was that they had that set-up where the cashier takes your order on a pad, then clips the ticket onto a line and zooms it from the entrance to the grill area. I'm not sure why that entertains me.
So, both my wife and I order up the Guacamole Cheeseburger and we share an order of fries. Another cool thing about this place was that they had flat screen TV's mounted everywhere. I would imagine this place does well during Spurs games. And today, no game to watch, so we enjoyed a good ol' home style spelling bee on ESPN. Since when did spelling become a sport.
Anyway, apparently Babe's may have something to do with Babe Ruth because the tables had enlarged baseball cards to keep you entertained if you had no interest in spelling stuff.
In really no time at all, the grill man yelled out my wife's name and we were ready to dig in. I haven't had a burger in, I don't know, two weeks, and this puppy hit the spot. The bun was fresh and had been toasted on the grill, it was slathered with mayo and the creamiest guacamole, and the fixin's all seemed fresh.
I'm not going to exaggerate and suggest that this is the best burger ever made; it isn't. But it was a damn fine presentation and the atmosphere made lunch comfortable. I would not hesitate to return for lunch, just to try some other the other items on the menu.
Two burgers, an order of fries, one iced tea and a water, and we were out for about $14. Not bad for a tasty treat.
What did you eat for the 4th? Tell me about it.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Sad State of Affairs Report: Mission Drive-In...
- Mission Report: Mission Concepcion
- Visit Report: Espada Park...
- Pothole Report: Patch me, Baby...
- GNW Watch Meeting Report: My notes...
- Baby Update: Possible Cygnet Eviction
- Random Report: Quick notes
- Flood Report: Most of us are just Dumbasses
- Rebate Report: Why I will never shop Office Depot ...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Free Advice to Developers...
- Home Cooking Report: Frying Fish
- Must See Place Report: San Antonio Shoe Factory an...
- Shopping Report: Sun Harvest
- A Chance Encounter Report: Meeting the Peña's
- Looking for Big Willy...
- Crappy Job Report: The Time I got Poop in my Eye.....
- Graffiti Report: City Repaints Oscar Perez Memoria...
- Shopping Report: The Shops at Artisans Alley
- Lunch Report: Earl Abel's
- Getting Side Tracked Report: Lourdes Grotto
- Report Update: Queens Cottage...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Minutes...
- Mall Report: Ingram Park...
- Shopping Report: HEB Super Mercado
- Driving Report: McCullough & 35
- HOA Meeting Report: No 4th of July Fireworks, Real...
- Lunch Report: Babes on Fred Road
- GNW Parade Canx'd Due to Rain...
- Alright! We made the Express-News!! Yippie!
- New Store Report: Wal Mart at 1604 & Potranco
- Reader Report: Mission Trace Update
- Do-it-Yourselfer Tip: Don't Lay Tile in the Rain
- Tile Update: Tut Tut, Looks Like Rain...
- ▼ Jul 2007 (34)