Last week during a brief break in the rain, my wife and I took a drive to south San Antonio and stopped in to look at Espada Park, just off of SW Military Drive. We actually were interested in checking out the dam there, just to see if it was busting at the seams. It wasn't.
There isn't a lot to the park itself - some picnic areas, the dam, and while we were there, a guy selling raspas (shaved ice with flavored syrup), and lots of people just chilling out. The water was rushing over the top of the dam, but I confess, I don't know if it was rushing any more than normal.
According the the official website of the SA Missions Trail, "Espada Dam, built between 1731 and 1740, is the best existing example of the four Franciscan-designed dams placed on the San Antonio River. The dam is still in use today." I'd say it was hanging in there.
One thing I noticed was a tree that seemed to be singled out with a plaque. Turns out that the tree was planted by Senator Ted Kennedy, quite possibly after a night of Margaritas on the River Walk, and dedicated to his late brother, JFK. The tree seems rather small for having been planted such a long time ago, but upon closer inspection, it appears that what remains of the tree is just a small twig growing from the larger trunk that was either chopped down or otherwise damaged. If anyone knows the story behind that, e-mail me.
I thought one enjoyable aspect of the park was the long drive along the river from the entrance all the way down to the damn. Many people were walking, riding bikes and skateboarding along the street and I thought, for the person who wants to get out for a little exercise but would like to avoid heavy traffic, you could park your car, walk down and back and it would be nice.
We didn't go all the way down to Mission Espada while we were there, but perhaps we'll make a trip back soon and take some pictures.
So, looking for something to do? I wouldn't say you could make a day of it, but if you wanted to check out the missions, you could certainly stop at Espada Park for a picnic during your tour.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Sad State of Affairs Report: Mission Drive-In...
- Mission Report: Mission Concepcion
- Visit Report: Espada Park...
- Pothole Report: Patch me, Baby...
- GNW Watch Meeting Report: My notes...
- Baby Update: Possible Cygnet Eviction
- Random Report: Quick notes
- Flood Report: Most of us are just Dumbasses
- Rebate Report: Why I will never shop Office Depot ...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Free Advice to Developers...
- Home Cooking Report: Frying Fish
- Must See Place Report: San Antonio Shoe Factory an...
- Shopping Report: Sun Harvest
- A Chance Encounter Report: Meeting the Peña's
- Looking for Big Willy...
- Crappy Job Report: The Time I got Poop in my Eye.....
- Graffiti Report: City Repaints Oscar Perez Memoria...
- Shopping Report: The Shops at Artisans Alley
- Lunch Report: Earl Abel's
- Getting Side Tracked Report: Lourdes Grotto
- Report Update: Queens Cottage...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Minutes...
- Mall Report: Ingram Park...
- Shopping Report: HEB Super Mercado
- Driving Report: McCullough & 35
- HOA Meeting Report: No 4th of July Fireworks, Real...
- Lunch Report: Babes on Fred Road
- GNW Parade Canx'd Due to Rain...
- Alright! We made the Express-News!! Yippie!
- New Store Report: Wal Mart at 1604 & Potranco
- Reader Report: Mission Trace Update
- Do-it-Yourselfer Tip: Don't Lay Tile in the Rain
- Tile Update: Tut Tut, Looks Like Rain...
- ▼ Jul 2007 (34)