Sadly, this little spell of rain has ruined more than just my thoughts of mowing my yard today. The much awaited Great Northwest Parade scheduled for 11AM today was officially canceled by HOA Board of Directors Chairman, Mr. Lee Besing (and several other staff - see comments). Lee told me that frequent checks of the weather radar were not looking good.
A group of local Scouts, eager to show their 4th of July spirit posed in full gear along with Mr. Besing and other disappointed parade fans.
Not allowing the weather to, uh, rain on their parade, members of Gardeners Galore of the GNW rode out the route in fine fashion, stopping by the Old Folks Home on Timber Path to let residents appreciate the one float parade.
This is the type of community spirit that makes me proud to live in Silver Creek and the GNW.
Happy 4th of July!
Update: Lee sent me two photos worth adding to the entry: The first shows the weather radar picture which clearly shows why it is so wet outside. I know that there were small handfuls of people at various spots along the parade route, umbrellas in hand, raincoat at the ready, but really, Lee's decision to cancel was the right thing to do.
It turns out that McGruff the Crime Dog was ready for the rain, fully decked out in his crime fighting London-Fog jacket. In addition to McGruff (who seems to be wearing pajama pants under that jacket), a few patriotic residents and our GNW SAPD SAFFE officer, Officer Cowan plus one of the police academy cadets, posed for Lee.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Sad State of Affairs Report: Mission Drive-In...
- Mission Report: Mission Concepcion
- Visit Report: Espada Park...
- Pothole Report: Patch me, Baby...
- GNW Watch Meeting Report: My notes...
- Baby Update: Possible Cygnet Eviction
- Random Report: Quick notes
- Flood Report: Most of us are just Dumbasses
- Rebate Report: Why I will never shop Office Depot ...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Free Advice to Developers...
- Home Cooking Report: Frying Fish
- Must See Place Report: San Antonio Shoe Factory an...
- Shopping Report: Sun Harvest
- A Chance Encounter Report: Meeting the Peña's
- Looking for Big Willy...
- Crappy Job Report: The Time I got Poop in my Eye.....
- Graffiti Report: City Repaints Oscar Perez Memoria...
- Shopping Report: The Shops at Artisans Alley
- Lunch Report: Earl Abel's
- Getting Side Tracked Report: Lourdes Grotto
- Report Update: Queens Cottage...
- GNW HOA Meeting Report: My Minutes...
- Mall Report: Ingram Park...
- Shopping Report: HEB Super Mercado
- Driving Report: McCullough & 35
- HOA Meeting Report: No 4th of July Fireworks, Real...
- Lunch Report: Babes on Fred Road
- GNW Parade Canx'd Due to Rain...
- Alright! We made the Express-News!! Yippie!
- New Store Report: Wal Mart at 1604 & Potranco
- Reader Report: Mission Trace Update
- Do-it-Yourselfer Tip: Don't Lay Tile in the Rain
- Tile Update: Tut Tut, Looks Like Rain...
- ▼ Jul 2007 (34)