I know this will sound hard to believe coming from this blog, but my wife and I could not find a place that we wanted to eat on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, we have an extensive list of places we want to try, but with timing always being a factor, sometimes we are limited in where we can go. And of course, Sundays are always made harder by the fact that many places just don't open.
After an hour of Google searches, a thorough page-by-page examination of our Entertainment coupon book, and quite frankly, a little disgust with the whole situation, we decided to just go and do our HEB Plus shopping and grab a bite at the Spoonz Diner.
Side Note: We could have easily had ham and turkey leftovers, but really, how much of that stuff can you take?We've had Spoonz before and generally, I have a pretty good opinion of them. The place is clean, they have a fairly good selection, and it is all pretty reasonable. As long as you keep in mind, it is a diner in a grocery store.
We wanted to make it quick so we both ordered the Angus Burger Combo Meal situation. I added bacon to mine. It made us laugh that the Angus burgers were actually those frozen patties that HEB sells in the frozen section. Why not?
First off, you have to give them credit. I think the Spoonz folks go out of their way to offer up a good looking bun - toasted on the grill even, and served with fresh lettuce, pickle & tomato. My bacon was large and thick, though a little chewy for some reason. And the fries they serve are just wonderful.
My complaint with this was, the burger itself comes out dry and overcooked. I can't tell if this is because they are required to cook it really, really, well done for legal reasons, or if it is already cooked well done and they just heat it up on the grill for too long to avoid having you bite into a frozen piece of cooked meat.
Either way, I would have gladly taken the fries and the bun with fixin's home, and plopped my own burger onto it.
I knew I should have ordered the Reuben.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- The Inseam Incident...
- Lunch Report: 410 Diner on Broadway...
- Lunch Report: Eva's Trip to Western Broiler
- Almost Lunch Report: Bubba's...
- Christmas Eve Spirit: Friendly Mall Patrons...
- Emporium Report: Krazy Vatos...
- Eva's Day Out...
- Times Change, Attitudes Change, We Get Over It...
- I'm Sorry , We're Open...
- Breakfast Report: Jim's Again and Again...
- Lunch Report: NY Hot Dogs on Mainland...
- Cat on a Hot Composite Shingle Roof...
- Dinner Report: A Big Mac...
- Road Trip Ideas: Route 66...
- Missed Picture...
- Dexter Season Finale: Holy Crap!
- Hurley's Rat...
- Timber Path Construction Update: Connected...
- Saturday Report: Odds & Ends...
- Hot Chocolate Report: Santa in the House...
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- Wild Life in 78250...
- Monk is Done and Al Bundy is a Modern Grandfather....
- Dinner Report: Papa Murphy's Chicago Style...
- Lunch Report: Spoonz at HEB Plus on Potranco...
- ▼ Dec 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (333)