My wife and I had to make an emergency run to Gordon's Jewelers in Ingram Mall Saturday morning. I don't want to get into specifics of it, but I'm pretty much tired of diamonds falling out of the rings in our house. It isn't like my wife is doing construction or something. We've taken one ring in particular back three times this year to have diamonds replaced, and at some point, a husband just has to put his foot down. So $1,500 later...
While I was standing in Gordon's waiting for those people to take my money, I could not help but notice this fellow working at a place called Soapranos. I don't have the faintest idea what it is they sell, though the thought of soap came to mind. Anyway, this guy was holding a little strip of something, I guess a sample of some sort that he was trying to encourage passersby to sniff, I guess. As I watched this go on, people just kept blowing him off and it was really upsetting the poor guy. He would run from side to side of his kiosk hoping that if he darted out as someone approached, they would feel compelled to stop and sniff his sample. Sniff his sample. Maybe there is a better way to phrase that.
Anyway, during the close to 10 minutes I sat there watching the guy, it was not until we were walking out the door that he trapped someone into sniffing the stuff. The rest of the people either totally acted like he was not there, ignoring him completely, or semi-politely said "No thanks" or gave him the old wrinkled eyebrow look that conveys, "Don't get near me with your sample."
This made me think of those people standing on corners with those big signs trying to get drivers to pull into a business. Either a new home development, a going out of business and everything must go situation or the standard tax preparation service. What do suppose a gig like that pays?
And doesn't seeing Santa just make you want to get your car washed?
Oh, and speaking of cars. I loved this fancy way of mounting the required by law front license plate on a car. It's the new rage. I'm gonna go get some tie-straps and customize my truck today!
We stopped into Cheddar's yesterday just to grab a quick bite and decided on their burgers. At $4.99, I'd say it is a pretty good deal. Anyway, we remembered one time when we went and the french fries were really piled on, so because they charge separate for the fries, we decided to get just one order and share them.
This is the actual order of fries that we received with my burger. Yes, that is a normal, sensible size of fries for a small child eating a Happy Meal, but it was the least amount of fries I have ever seen served, especially considering I had to pay extra! We really laughed when we saw them.
What was funnier was when I asked the waiter to bring out some honey mustard to dip the fries in, he brought enough to slather each individual fry, fully coated, and still have enough left over for a Christmas ham.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- The Inseam Incident...
- Lunch Report: 410 Diner on Broadway...
- Lunch Report: Eva's Trip to Western Broiler
- Almost Lunch Report: Bubba's...
- Christmas Eve Spirit: Friendly Mall Patrons...
- Emporium Report: Krazy Vatos...
- Eva's Day Out...
- Times Change, Attitudes Change, We Get Over It...
- I'm Sorry , We're Open...
- Breakfast Report: Jim's Again and Again...
- Lunch Report: NY Hot Dogs on Mainland...
- Cat on a Hot Composite Shingle Roof...
- Dinner Report: A Big Mac...
- Road Trip Ideas: Route 66...
- Missed Picture...
- Dexter Season Finale: Holy Crap!
- Hurley's Rat...
- Timber Path Construction Update: Connected...
- Saturday Report: Odds & Ends...
- Hot Chocolate Report: Santa in the House...
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- Wild Life in 78250...
- Monk is Done and Al Bundy is a Modern Grandfather....
- Dinner Report: Papa Murphy's Chicago Style...
- Lunch Report: Spoonz at HEB Plus on Potranco...
- ▼ Dec 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (333)