I just read over at Buzzardbilly's blog that the series finale for Monk is on tonight! Hello? I guess we missed this last season of it. We had been using the DVR to catch up with the show and we were pretty certain we had seen every episode so I guess I must have removed it from the schedule. Apparently, the new season started and I forgot to start recording the show again. Let us hope they play re-runs of the entire season, in order, so we can watch it all.
Speaking of the DVR and TV shows (I don't mean to brag, but my DVR can record up to four shows at the same time), we started recording this new show called Modern Family, then promptly forgot about it. The other night we were looking through the list of potential viewing options and found that we had 4 episodes requiring our attention.
We love Peg Bundy on Son's of Anarchy and my wife is a huge fan of Kelly Bundy on that show, Suddenly Samantha. I even kinda liked Al Bundy when he tried to do Dragnet, but it was such a long ways from his character on Married with Children to the very serious Joe Friday, that I guess it didn't work out.
That reminds me; when I lived in Bedfordshire in the UK, they opened up an American style restaurant called Joe Friday's. It was like a bar (as opposed to a pub) and they sold huge Yank style burgers and had some old Dragnet posters as I recall. Good times.
Anyway, they have now found a middle ground for Al (real name Ed O'Neil) who plays a grandfather, married to a much younger woman and their daily interactions with his two adult children, a daughter, married with three kids and a son, partnered with a a former football player and their adopted little girl. Oh, and in the first episode, Shelly Long comes in as the ex-wife who pretty much ruined the wedding reception in what has become known as, "The Incident".
We watched the first episode and it was enough to make us give the second episode a shot. And that was about all it took. We watched all four episodes in a single sitting and found the characters to be very entertaining and quirky. Ed O'Neil actually plays the straight guy (no pun intended) setting up situations for the other talented actors to be funny. He isn't over the top goofy like he was on Married with Children, and not totally serious as in Dragnet, he's just right. Oh, and bold enough to play a scene out by the pool with a gut, dare I say it, as enormous as mine. I just may bust out a Speedo for the Polar Bear swim this New Year's day.
I'll give you a moment to digest that thought.
Anyway, if you hadn't seen it, you just might want to give Modern Family a try. They have that little technique where mid-way through a scene, they do an interview with the character, sort of like what you see on The Office. May be a bit overused these days, but it was good for several laughs.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- The Inseam Incident...
- Lunch Report: 410 Diner on Broadway...
- Lunch Report: Eva's Trip to Western Broiler
- Almost Lunch Report: Bubba's...
- Christmas Eve Spirit: Friendly Mall Patrons...
- Emporium Report: Krazy Vatos...
- Eva's Day Out...
- Times Change, Attitudes Change, We Get Over It...
- I'm Sorry , We're Open...
- Breakfast Report: Jim's Again and Again...
- Lunch Report: NY Hot Dogs on Mainland...
- Cat on a Hot Composite Shingle Roof...
- Dinner Report: A Big Mac...
- Road Trip Ideas: Route 66...
- Missed Picture...
- Dexter Season Finale: Holy Crap!
- Hurley's Rat...
- Timber Path Construction Update: Connected...
- Saturday Report: Odds & Ends...
- Hot Chocolate Report: Santa in the House...
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- Wild Life in 78250...
- Monk is Done and Al Bundy is a Modern Grandfather....
- Dinner Report: Papa Murphy's Chicago Style...
- Lunch Report: Spoonz at HEB Plus on Potranco...
- ▼ Dec 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (333)