During my wife's recent adventure out and about with her camera at the ready, she, along with her mother and nephew in tow, checked out the coolness at Krazy Vatos, then stopped in to check out some cool cars at San Antonio Shoes on Zarzamora. Of course, all that excitement generates an appetite, so when one is in the area, why not lunch at Western Broiler on Kirk?
It has been years since I was in Western Broiler, but it used to be a favorite meeting place for lunch. Located at Frio City Road and Kirk Place, it isn't far from the old Kelly AFB (now Port San Antonio), and they would do a brisk lunch business and get people in and out of there in a hurry. I always had the fish lunch, so I'm not sure I even know what else they serve.
Inside, the place looks about the same it did probably when it was opened, who knows, 50 years ago? But that is part of the charm. Need to pee, gotta head outside. I think that cuts down on the over indulgence of iced tea refills.
Like many of the places we enjoy, Western Broiler still has the old style seating at the counter. This is great for the person who wants to dine alone or the regular who needs to catch up on the latest gossip with the waitstaff.
On this little lunch outing, the lunch would be about the same. My wife had the fish lunch with fries and a small salad (which has always been good). My mother-in-law opted for the green beans (which I love) and the mashed potatoes with gravy. Both had corn bread with lunch.
Mmmm, smell the lovely blue tree. Along for the ride and lunch, my nephew picked up the cheeseburger and I am told it was a solid substitute for the standard Happy Meal action he might have expected.
Oh, and on a final note, if you like tarter sauce with your fish, they will give you all you need. But please, put it on the fish, don't just eat it from the bowl. Geeze, Gramma, we can't take you anywhere!
Have you been to Western Broiler? What is your favorite lunch, or are you more of a biscuits for breakfast type? Tell us about it in the comments below.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- The Inseam Incident...
- Lunch Report: 410 Diner on Broadway...
- Lunch Report: Eva's Trip to Western Broiler
- Almost Lunch Report: Bubba's...
- Christmas Eve Spirit: Friendly Mall Patrons...
- Emporium Report: Krazy Vatos...
- Eva's Day Out...
- Times Change, Attitudes Change, We Get Over It...
- I'm Sorry , We're Open...
- Breakfast Report: Jim's Again and Again...
- Lunch Report: NY Hot Dogs on Mainland...
- Cat on a Hot Composite Shingle Roof...
- Dinner Report: A Big Mac...
- Road Trip Ideas: Route 66...
- Missed Picture...
- Dexter Season Finale: Holy Crap!
- Hurley's Rat...
- Timber Path Construction Update: Connected...
- Saturday Report: Odds & Ends...
- Hot Chocolate Report: Santa in the House...
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- Wild Life in 78250...
- Monk is Done and Al Bundy is a Modern Grandfather....
- Dinner Report: Papa Murphy's Chicago Style...
- Lunch Report: Spoonz at HEB Plus on Potranco...
- ▼ Dec 2009 (27)
- ► 2008 (333)