Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Friday, May 2, 2008

Japanese Tea Gardens: Refurbished...

Some years ago, my wife and I made a short trek down to San Antonio's Brackenridge Park just north of San Antonio's downtown, just to have a little date of sorts. I really enjoyed the place and appreciated that it was free to park and free to enter, given that I was a young Airman on a limited budget. A little over 23 years later, we took an afternoon to go visit the updated version of the Japanese Tea Gardens, the same place where I proposed to my wife so many years ago. I have to tell you, we were pretty pleased with the new look of the same place. I have to admit that I was a little confused by the fact that the place is called the Japanese Tea Gardens, but when you enter the little entrance, it says Chinese Tea Garden.

During the war, there was a tad bit of dislike for the Japanese after that whole Pearl Harbor thing and some Chinese folks took over the place for a while. Now we are back to hating the Chi-Coms, and friends with the Japanese. Whatever.

If I were Carlos Mencia, I'd make a joke about Mexicans being better gardeners than any of the Asian's, but you know someone would be upset by it, so I'll press on with the pictures.
The place is stunningly beautiful. Once it all grows back into place, you will be amazed at how beautiful it can be.
I can tell you that these pictures simply don't do the place justice; get out and see it for yourself.And then there was this little jewel... The seat built into the landscaping that we found ourselves seated in all those years ago. I proposed, we married, and on our 23rd wedding anniversary, we were back to get ideas for landscaping our backyard.

We may not go with a waterfall or a huge pond of Coy, but perhaps we can find room for a bench to sit on.

2 comments:

Albatross said...

Oh, damn! Don't make me get all teary-eyed!

Seriously, though, I love the Tea Gardens, and it was such a shame when the city let it go for a while. Now that it has been gussied up again, I think it's high time I went back.

By the way, great pictures! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

STONE AND EVA..HAPPY 23rd ANNIVERSARY..AFTER ALL THESE YEARS..TRUE LOVE PREVAILS...FOR A WEDDING IS AN EVENT..AND MARRIAGE AN ACCOMPLISHMENT...LOVE YOU BOTH..NENA,MANDO,DIEGO...

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites