Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Garcia Park: A Little Church...

We were on our way downtown and it just so happened that our path took us off the highway and onto N. Laredo and Salado streets where there is a little publicized park called Garcia Park. My wife asked me to pull in so we could take a few pictures of the historic church that sits on this property. Her great-grandmother used to take the ol' horse and buggy to say a prayer or two at this little chapel, back in the day.

I can't imagine how many times I have driven right by here and not even noticed the place. My wife claims that recently, some guy crashed his car into the back of the church, but I hadn't read about it on Strange in SA, so I can't confirm it.Anyway, the place is very small, a single room church with enough pews to get in, say a prayer, light a candle, and get out. Be quick.The chapel is quite nice looking inside the small sanctuary, but I had to stay outside while my wife braved the furnace inside long enough to say a prayer. I suppose only old people visit, because with the heater on, it had to be 85 degrees in the small room.This little church is recorded in the national registry. Here is your proof.Outside, the church/park caretaker was busily dealing with wild animals.

No comments:

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites