I know to some of you this may come across as being a bit obsessive about a place to grab some food, but I think I have somewhat of a breakthrough on the location of the best barbeque I have had in recent memory, Hashknife on the Chisholm.
My daughter is making the trip from Wichita Falls down to San Antonio this weekend and as my wife was talking to her via cellular technology, she mentioned that she was getting close to Mineral Wells. I quickly alerted her to be on the lookout for the barbecue place we enjoyed so much and reported about here and here. Unfortunately, I told her literally minutes too late because when I looked up the name of a company she mentioned on Google Maps, it was obvious she had already passed the place.
But, that gave me an idea. The big mystery has been that this little BBQ place has no presence, other than this Blog, on the Internet. Using the Hybrid feature on Google Maps, I followed 281 north up from where my daughter was in Mineral Wells until I found a place that matched the features I recall. An intersection that was a 4-way-stop with two stores on the same side of 281 but nothing on the other corners.
To give you an idea of where I'm talking about in relation to Mineral Wells, here is an overview of the area. The big circle is the place where the BBQ place is.
So, once I got to the intersection on the map, I did a search on variations of BBQ and Restaurant etc with no luck. So then, I remembered that the business on the other corner was a gas station, so I typed Gas into the "Find Business" tab. Turns out that G's Gas and Groceries shares a corner, and further, G's has a phone number. So, I called them.
Now this can be sort of tricky because if I said the wrong thing, the lady who answered could have sent me on a wild goose chase. My main concern was that the barbeque place may be a fierce competitor of sorts. But, what the heck. So a very nice country-sounding lady answers and I explain that I'm calling from San Antonio and such, and the whole business about not being able to find any reference to this barbeque place on the internet. She indulged me for a few seconds which was nice of her, then she said, "Yep, that's the place right across the street from me." Bingo! She said they had been in business about a year - which may explain the lack of any advertising.
I had hoped that she might have an address or a phone number, but I think she decided that perhaps I was a telemarketer or Hillary Supporter or something, because that was pretty much all she would confirm. I thanked her for her time and wished her a fine evening.
So now, what we know is that G's Gas and Groceries is at 8161 North Highway 281 in the unincorporated town of Peadenville in Palo Pinto County, TX. So, I'm guessing that Hashknife on the Chisholm is going to have an address of something like 8000 or maybe even 7950 or something like that - who knows really, but the good news is, when my daughter gets home, I'm going to plug in the address to G's Groceries into her Garmin so she'll be able to get a good chipped beef barbeque sandwich when she returns to Wichita Falls.
You know, I could probably just call 1411 on my cell phone and ask for a listing, but I want to keep this mystery going for a little longer. I have faith in the Internet and I trust one of you people out there will say, "Hey, doesn't Bob own the Hashknife on the Chisholm? I wonder if he knows that some dumbass on the Internet likes his barbeque?"
So there you have it. An update on lunch from a few months ago.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Weather Report: Time for a few more Gigs!!
- Great Northwest Watch Report: Dinner and Meeting
- Developers Advice Update: A New Church...
- Arby's Report: The Ol' Bait & Switch...
- Weather Report: Something is in the Air
- Downtown Report: The Buckhorn Saloon & Museum
- Hashknife on the Chisholm Update
- Friday Report: A Few Notes...
- 4000+ Report: You People Must Be Bored!
- Dinner Report: Grady's BBQ
- New Look Report: The Old Pearl Brewery...
- Friendliness Report: HEB Shoppers
- Lunch Report: Sunday Lunch with my Mother-in-Law
- Lunch Report: Tip Top Cafe...
- Shopping Report: Habitat Home Center
- Ceiling Update: Because You Know you Want to See ...
- HOA Meeting Report: My Notes... or Lack Thereof.
- Ceiling Update: Half Way There
- Wet Ceiling Report: My Wife, The Plumber...
- Lunch Report: TGI Fridays...is not that good.
- Trash Report: The Brush Collection has Started!
- Appliance Replacement Report: Burnt House Averted;...
- Medina Lake Report: A Visit to Thousand Trails Pre...
- Swimming Pool Report: No City Take-Over
- Self Promotion Report: Passages Letter to the Edit...
- Weather Report: You think the weather is crazy he...
- Library Report: The Remodeled GNW Library
- National Night Out Report: A Good Time was had by ...
- Getting Ready for National Night Out...
- Dinner Report: My Personal HEB Commercial
- Shopping Report: Bussey's Flea Market
- Shopping Report: Garden Ridge
- Lunch Report: Red Robin at The Rim...
- GNW CIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Accident Report: French Bread Causes Broken Tooth....
- ▼ Aug 2007 (35)