As if I'm not already a poster child for San Antonio's continual ascendancy to the top of the yearly "Fattest City" race, my wife decided that we had experienced enough restaurant dining this week and suggested I grill up some healthy homemade burgers for dinner. Yea. Healthy.
On our recent outing at Clear Springs, we picked up some of their special onion ring batter, so now, not only would we have some healthy burgers, we'd accompany them with some batter-fried onion rings. That's a vegetable, right?So, here we go. If you want to know the big secret, the onion rings are chilled in iced water for a while, then dipped in a mixture of eggs and creamer, then covered in the special dried batter mixture. Not enough? After that, a second dunk in the egg and cream and a second coating of the specially seasoned mix.Sure, they would probably be tasty after two good coatings, but we fried them in a healthy pan filled with oil.
For the burgers, I mixed the hamburger meat with some crumbled Ritz crackers, a sprinkling of sea salt with black pepper and then, once pressed into patties, I sprinkled some dried garlic on them. Yum.The burgers are cooked in the usual way on my grill, and other than the fact that they aren't perfectly round, I'm sure most of you cook your burgers the same way. They start out on one side... Then I flip them over and after some point in time, they are finished.But before I pull them, I have to load up the grill with the buns, slathered with a mixture of butter and honey mustard. Oh, and cheese on the burgers.Now, back to those onion rings. You know, you could probably just eat these and call it a day, right?But no burger in our house is complete unless we load up on some bacon. I know, you are probably calling the paramedics as I type this up, but it could be worse.I could add some mayonnaise, pickles, bbq sauces and more onion rings.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- Car Show Report
- Strange in 78250: Or There Abouts...
- Lunch Report: Red Robin...
- Dinner Report: Chili's (The Ol' Standby)...
- Strange in Sugar Land: Houston, we Have a Problem....
- Movie Report: No Country For Old Men...Sucks!
- Lunch Report: Armadillo's on McCullough...
- River Walk Construction Update: Back at it...
- GNWCIA Report: Nothing to Report...
- Why Northern Tool Rocks!
- Sadness Report: Baby the Cygnet...
- Strange in 78250...
- Coffee Maker Report: Mine Sucks!
- And the Fireball Returns...
- A-Team in Action...
- Doctor's Report: My Visit to the Clinic...
- Flat Tire: No, Really Flat...
- The Numbers Report: 20,000 Hits
- The Germans Want me to Sell you Drugs...
- The New Garbage Cans Are Here....
- River Walk Construction Update: Water Already?
- Dinner Report: Burgers on the Grill; Heart Attack ...
- Old Guys Hitting on Women at HEB...
- Dinner Report: Clear Springs...
- Lunch Report: Podna's Catfish and Po'Boys...
- A-Team Action Alert: Saturday, 15 March at 0900
- GNWCIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- River Walk Construction Update
- Art Report: Strange Museum Advertising...
- Construction Report: Screened Door...
- The Grill Report: Catfish...
- ▼ Mar 2008 (31)