I don't participate in any of the post-Thanksgiving shopping madness that would require me to get up at 4am or wait in lines to get into WalMart, so there was really no suitable reason that I should even leave the confines of my house today - and my wife was in total agreement on that. We have a DVR full of TV shows that have gone unwatched not to mention the first sign of cold weather (a chilly 50 degrees is enough to warrant long johns in my mind), so sales on anything Christmas related can wait until I get through the last six weeks of Ghost Whisperer as far as I'm concerned.
But, one cannot live on turkey and stuffing alone, especially when I had a plate full for breakfast and based on the looks of the fridge, there seemed to be a full weekend worth to contend with, we decided to get out and see what was quick and new. My son suggested one of his favorites, Which Wich, which you might imagine is a sandwich place. Get it, Which Wich?We headed over to the I-10 and Huebner location but I understand they have one being built closer to the HEB Plus on Potranco and 1604. The concept of this type of sandwich place is awesome. I have said before that we are given way too many choices and what happens for people like me is, the waiter comes around and suddenly, your mind goes nuts and you can't decide what you want and you order something you don't want or you forget what you came for etc. Even at a place like Quiznos or Subway, even if you know you want the ham and cheese sandwich, you have to decide on white or wheat, what type of cheese, what type of toppings, toasted or untoasted, dressings, seasonings, foot long or half, it is a damn nightmare I tell you, especially if some hungry guy next to you in line is practicing what he is going to order.At Which Wich, you still have to decide but they have come up with a way to let you think about your order at your own pace, mark down what you want, order it and get it exactly how you want it. No pressure at all! You put your name on the bag, grab another little card to order a shake if you like or some freshly baked cookies, and off you go to the register.The wait was not long at all. I ordered a Reuben Sandwich which was very acceptable considering the sub-type bun. Had that part of it occurred to me, I might have gone along with my son's selection, the Wicked which for a buck more, you get 5 meats and two cheeses. But even though, I was not unhappy with the Reuben.
I also ordered up some of their House Chips which appeared to be Ruffles with some awkward seasoning stuffed into a baggie. I don't recommend them - stick with the Lay's.The shop itself was no more exciting then any of the chain type places but I did notice that it was a WiFi spot and they seemed to try to get customers to make it "their" place by posting some artwork done on sandwich bags. We noticed a few bands had even used the bags as a way of promoting web pages for their groups.
Whether you choose to be a hipster or not, I'd safely choose Which Wich over Quiznos or Subway, if only for the ability to sit there and really think about what you want before ordering. It ain't fine dining, just a place to get lunch, but still earns a few Tasty Treats in my book.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- River Walk Construction Update: Moving right along...
- Strange in Sam's...
- Culture Report: Witte Museum...
- Midnight Snack Report: Village Inn...
- Wardrobe Report: Special Ghost Whispering Pants......
- Lunch Report: WhichWich?...
- A Thankful Thanksgiving...
- Medical Report: Surviving an Upset Tummy...
- My HEB Commercial...
- Mobility Report: Where are the Sidewalks on Culeb...
- GNWCIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Construction Report: Tezel Road Update...
- GNW Watch Report: Turkey, Trains and Talk...
- Lunch Report: SA Burger
- Tezel Road Report: Time to Finish this Mess...
- Airport Report: Hello Mr. President...
- Breakfast Report: Mickey D's...
- Animal Planet Report: We Have a Problem...
- Morning Drive Report: The Grass is Always Greener....
- NBC is Green - And Really Stupid...
- Morning Report: A Little Clean-up...
- Visitor Report: Konnichiwa!
- Strange in 78250: Tight Jeans... Really...Tight......
- GNWCIA Meeting Report: A Real Barn Burner...
- ▼ Nov 2007 (24)