I had to make a short run up to Dayton but should be in place ready for note taking duties at the GNWCIA meeting Thursday evening. I hope to see you there!
This is what it looks like high above the US. It could be over Texas or Ohio or anywhere in between to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention when I took the picture.But for those of you with no idea what Ohio looks like from the air, this is it. Lots of farmland, and really, lots of beautiful homes and farms.
I lived in Dayton when I was a kid - 4th through 6th grade. So, I took a drive through the old neighborhood I lived in called Page Manor. All of the homes were leveled years ago, and now, it has been rebuilt with new base housing. In fact, this picture (above) is a side view of where I used to live. What is now clearly the backyard of several homes was actually the front yard of our home.
And this is the school I attended, Page Manor Elementary. Now, it seems to be some sort of community center. But it does look as though it has been renovated since 1975!
When I was a kid, my parents would take us to the Wright Brother's Memorial. Yes, first flight may have been at Kittyhawk, but Dayton is where the Wright Brothers made bikes and built planes.In the winter, we would sled down this hill when it snowed. It seemed a lot steeper at the time.
I'm staying at a place called Hope Hotel. It is named to honor Bob Hope for all of his service to the USO.I had dinner in Paky's Sports Bar. Paky was the name Bob Hope used as a boxing name. Yes, he actually boxed!
I saw some old retired guys visiting Dayton to see the Air Force Museum. One of the men was having some onion rings that looked really, really good. So I got an order and some chicken wings that were on special. But, little did I know, they had shared the rings between three of them.
Holy Crap! There were enough onion rings for a group. And the wings were, well, a little tough, and the honey was pooling! I couldn't finish half of it all, but I'd have taken the onion rings in my luggage if I thought they would make it. They get the full Tasty Treat score, but I'll skip the wings next time.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Dinner Report: Bill Miller's, Germs, and Washing ...
- Unfortunate Name Report: Cocula Mexican Restaurant...
- Lunch Report: Guillermo's Deli...
- River Walk Construction Report: More progress...
- Morality Report: Indecent in 78250?
- Strange in 78250: Who Needs a Mega-Church?
- Lunch Report: Headlines at Gilberts...
- Vegan Dog Report: Panda and Celery...
- River Walk Construction Report: Update...
- Arts & Crafts Report: The Military Wreath...
- Strange in 78250: Yard Sale...
- GNW CIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Trip Report: Dayton to Chicago to SA - Almost...
- Trip Report: Dayton...
- HEB Plus Report: He Man Women Haters...
- Yard Work Report: Need a Rake?
- Lunch Report: Sea Island - The Good One
- River Walk Report: Construction Continues...
- NFL on Fox Report: KABB and Name Calling...
- Dinner Report: Dickey's Barbecue Pit
- Historical Marker Report: The Pope in Westover...
- Looking for fun? Consider a Play in San Marcos...
- GNW CIA Meeting Report: More of the Same...
- Strange in 78250: Hood Ornament?
- Mystery Report: Solved...
- New Marketing Ploy?
- ▼ Oct 2007 (26)