Let me cut right to the chase: Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm! Guillermo's Deli located in the back of the YMCA off of St Mary's downtown served up quite a Tasty Treat for the lunch special today.
I was attending a class at my office downtown and a co-worker suggested we grab a sandwich at Guillermo's as it would be a quick meal giving us plenty of time to eat and be back before the class started again.
I initially had reservations because the place is located at the YMCA - I try to eat healthy, but I'm not looking to go Vegan or anything like that, nor do I want to feel obligated to do some chin-ups or work up a sweat before I'm allowed to eat. But, never fear, there was no such requirement.
I ordered up Tony's Special, which today was a sandwich on focaccia bread, (I had the ham, my co-worker had turkey) and a bow-tie pasta salad with fresh spinach (they also had the pasta with ham).
When we first walked in, I wasn't sure if the place was even open since we were the only two customers. But by the time we ordered and got our baskets, the place filled with other people.
There was a minor issue with the drink situation. Guillermo's has several versions of tea labeled to identify the value of anti-oxidants and green tea and such. I finally settled on the fresh lemonade which was remarkably tasty.The pasta salad was simply perfect. Served cold, the pasta was cooked just right. The tomatoes were cut in such a way that they blended in with the spinach, onions and other ingredients. The selection of seasonings and I assume olive oil worked very well. I sat there and ate the pasta before I even took a bite of the sandwich.
And then it was heaven. I know, quite an accolade for a sandwich, but if you can imagine not wanting it to end, just because it was so good. The lunch filled me up for sure, but I suspect that had the sandwich been three times as big as it was, I would have sat there like a pig and devoured it, all the more reason they probably put this place in a gym.Guillermo's also serves pizza and other stuff, but seriously, try the focaccia bread ham sandwich. Maximum Tasty Treats!
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)
- Dinner Report: Bill Miller's, Germs, and Washing ...
- Unfortunate Name Report: Cocula Mexican Restaurant...
- Lunch Report: Guillermo's Deli...
- River Walk Construction Report: More progress...
- Morality Report: Indecent in 78250?
- Strange in 78250: Who Needs a Mega-Church?
- Lunch Report: Headlines at Gilberts...
- Vegan Dog Report: Panda and Celery...
- River Walk Construction Report: Update...
- Arts & Crafts Report: The Military Wreath...
- Strange in 78250: Yard Sale...
- GNW CIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Trip Report: Dayton to Chicago to SA - Almost...
- Trip Report: Dayton...
- HEB Plus Report: He Man Women Haters...
- Yard Work Report: Need a Rake?
- Lunch Report: Sea Island - The Good One
- River Walk Report: Construction Continues...
- NFL on Fox Report: KABB and Name Calling...
- Dinner Report: Dickey's Barbecue Pit
- Historical Marker Report: The Pope in Westover...
- Looking for fun? Consider a Play in San Marcos...
- GNW CIA Meeting Report: More of the Same...
- Strange in 78250: Hood Ornament?
- Mystery Report: Solved...
- New Marketing Ploy?
- ▼ Oct 2007 (26)