I have an ongoing project of scanning in the hard copy photographs that fill boxes of photo albums throughout the house. I thought I'd start posting an occasional random photo and telling you a little about it.This is a picture of me standing in the Gold Medal position at the bullet-ridden Olympic Awards Stand in Sarajevo. I did a short trip to Bosnia in 1998 and seeing places like the Olympics sites was just one of the many benefits of that experience.
For anyone who has traveled to magnificent places seen on TV or in books, places like London, Paris, Washington DC, The Alamo; there is a sudden sense of wow, it seems so much smaller, but is just as awesome as I thought (I think anyway).
The difference here was after watching the Olympics on TV and then seeing the place in person, all shot-up with evidence of violence at every turn (the Bobsled track had holes broken out of it to allow gun turrets to poke through), there wasn't such a feeling of the place being small or awesome, but rather witnessing the scene of a crime. It was a great experience.
Local San Antonio members of City-Data may be interested to know that the guy on the right (to my left) is none other than MajorMadMax. The guy on the the left (my right) is even more famous: In college, he was Bucky Badger, the mascot for the University of Wisconsin.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- ► 2009 (326)
- Yard Work Report: How to Cover Dead Grass...
- Random Photo Report: Peeing in Harrods of London
- The Pineapple Report...
- Strange in Brackenridge Park...
- Lunch Report: Augies Barbed Wire Smoke House...
- Random Photo Report: The SecDef's Wife...
- The Paint Report: Seriously, I'm not a Painter...
- Bakery Report: Panifico (or Bedoys) on 24th Street...
- Downtown Report: War Memorial, Main Plaza, Gumby.....
- Random Photo Report: Getting the Gold...
- Strange in 78250: The Case of the Missing Pants......
- Got Pet Problems? Get a Sign...
- River Walk Construction Update...
- Turn out the Lights:
- GNWCIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- My Neighbor Has a New Pet...
- No Water Shortage Here....
- I'm Not a Happy Camper Report:
- Father's Day Report: Calls, Beds, Steaks...
- Lunch Report: Crumpets...
- Crappy Service Report: US Postal Service...
- Lookin' Good in The Five-Oh...
- Celebrity Sighting Report: Cousin Itt
- Yard Work Report...
- GNWCIA Board Meeting Report: My Notes...
- Strange in Obits: Jack Mildren
- Lunch Report: The Lords Kitchen...
- A-Team Report: Timberwilde Students Paint the GNW....
- ▼ Jun 2008 (28)