Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Saturday, July 25, 2009

A-Team Paint Collection Report: A Good Start...

On Saturday the 25th of July, members of the Great Northwest A-Team volunteer group set up a collection point at the Silver Creek soccer fields to take in used latex paint that residents wanted to dispose of. Due to a technical glitch, the announcement for the paint drive did not make it into the July edition of Passages, the community newspaper, so volunteers attempted to get the word out via e-mails to neighbors and the use of marquees and signs.In spite of a slow start, it was apparent that many people driving past the collection point went home and cleared off the shelves in their garages, because we ended up with 50 gallons of paint suitable for recycling through the city of San Antonio's paint recycle program.With a great turn-out of volunteers, A-Team members took advantage of the manpower available and did a quick clean-up of the soccer fields and picnic areas.

Two full bags of recyclable water bottles were separated from regular trash helping to keep the trash cans available for use, and picnic tables were repainted to keep them suitable for families to use.
By noon when the project was complete, A-Team Coordinator, Mike Yager had a truckload of paint to deliver to the city collection facility on Culebra Road, and the A-Team members were looking forward to the next event scheduled for August 29.





If you have Latex Paint, any color that you'd like to get rid of, please consider donating it to the A-Team. Our goal is to turn in the paint we collect so that it can be converted into a single color suitable for covering graffiti and avoiding that ugly patchy look that you may have seen in the past on fences in the area.

If you'd like to donate new paint directly to the A-Team, we prefer Kodiak Brown to match previous work. We will also gladly accept your donation of gift cards from paint sellers such as Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, etc.

Need more info? Send me a note and I can get you in touch with Mike.

No comments:

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites