Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What the Hail...

It couldn't have been more than an hour after my wife broke down and turned on the air conditioner to help with the humid air this evening when after just a few flashes in the sky, I opened the back door to feel a really cool breeze coming over the back porch. I was hoping to let our good dog Gracie get in a good night squirt when I realized there were a few drops of rain coming down on the patio deck.

And then she took off. The dog, not my wife.

The back yard got pounded with some hail, the biggest being about the size of something a dog would chase. I suspect dogs have thicker coats in the winter, not to keep them warm from cold weather, but to protect them from their own stupidity (not that Gracie is stupid, mind you).

She ran around in the back yard, probably assuming that I was throwing ice and would soon be rewarding her with little treats, but instead all she got was the harsh warning from my wife, reminding her that she would not be coming upstairs if she was even close to wet.

I would have taken a picture, but sooner than the yelling was over, the hail was gone and aside from a few minor dirty paw marks on the tile, the incident was history.

How was your weather today?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEeiie8lhY

AlanDP said...

We got enough rain to pack the sand down but no hail. I ran the a/c last night for about 10 minutes because the house was getting a little muggy.

Blonde Goddess said...

We started out in the 40's this morning with some misting and by this afternoon it's supposed to reach the 70's.
There is a strong wind advisory for tonight too...

Anon E. Mouse said...

The hail hit the GNW area around 9:20pm last night, and 15 minutes later, it was hitting the Windcrest city area (about 20 miles east of GNW, on NE side of San Antonio).

The wife called me @ 9:20 on the way to pick up our son from Karate class, saying it was hailing dime sized or even nickle sized hail on her van @ Timberwilde & Timber Path. I went outside and it was also hailing at my house (about 5-6 blocks east from Dave's house).

Then 15 minutes later, I got called from a friend who lives off Montgomery Drive & Walzem Rd, east of Windcrest. Her potted plants were being blown off her carport, and she was getting hail the same size as reported by the wife.

I called in a Skywarn report to the National Weather Service in New Braunfels (our local NWS office) for both reports.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that title sounds familiar!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/563822-what-hail.html

Cheers! M2

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites