Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving: Update...

I know you must have spent the entire Thanksgiving day worrying yourselves into a lather, awaiting news of how my Sweet Potatoes and Cranberry Salad were received. I can say without exception, the sweet potato casserole made from combined recipes and missing ingredients (the evaporated milk) was a universal hit amongst the group of survey participants.My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both gave thumbs up and both had seconds. I must tell you that they preferred the dish served cold. My wife and I both enjoyed it warmed up. I should have taken more than one picture because they were a lot more excited than what this photograph might depict. As Arthur Fonzarelli might say, Aaay.

Later in the afternoon, we joined neighbors for dessert and took down a plate of the good stuff, and honestly, they were either really polite, or they genuinely loved it. I even had recipe requests!

The Cranberry Salad was actually good. I think if I ever attempt it again, I'll try following the directions a little closer. I suspect I put a little too much coconut in it. The taste was fine and nobody made any discreet efforts to spit it into a cloth napkin to be found later in the laundry. In fact, my sister-in-law took some to another gathering she was attending later in the afternoon, so it couldn't have been that bad. Unless that was just a ploy to get it out of the house...

I will tell you this: In my mind, cranberry needs to be eaten mixed in with the turkey and the dressing and such. You can't simply get a spoon and start eating it like it is some sort of fancy dessert, though I confess I did just that a while ago.
Oh, the hit of the party? Meet Tristan, my nephew's new baby. As the proud parents enjoyed turkey and such, we admired the newest little family member. Good baby!

How was your Thanksgiving? Any good stories about drunken uncles or dinnertime fisticuffs? Tell me about it.

4 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That baby is adorable!! Glad you had such a nice day. Happy Thanksgiving.

Albatross said...

I'm glad your cranberry dish was a hit. Though, if I was there, I probably wouldn't have even tried it, and I would have apologized profusely for being such a rude guest.

I'm sorry, I really dislike cranberries.

On the other hand, I'm sure your sweet potatoes were great! I love them things!

muse said...

I actually used the sweet potato recipe that was printed in the newspaper and it was tasty. Maple vanilla sweet potato...another plus was that I could make it ahead of time.

The meal was to die for, but the guest list was pretty comical...I'll have to write about it.

No one as cute as your nephew attended but the new boston terrier puppy made an appearance late in the evening.

Anonymous said...

Aww He's tinier than her looks in the picture texts.

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog

Add to Technorati Favorites