My wife and I were headed home when we saw some people standing in the parking lot at Grissom and Timber Path with a sign that says "Free Bread". My wife, eager to learn more, stopped in and had a chat with a young man running the operation and found out about a nice little situation being sponsored by the Rivers of Life Church which as you have probably seen, is in the old HEB building that was for years, the Coyotes Dance Hall and later, Tejano Texas. I'm gonna tell you; there has got to be some spirit in that church!
Anyway, my wife stopped and talked to a youth minister named Alfred and he explained to her what is going on. Apparently, the folks at that church offer a food pantry service providing free vittles to needy people. All they have to do is go between 3-6PM on Thursdays behind the church - and yes, I know exactly what many of you are thinking - and they can hook you up. On Fridays, beginning at 5PM, they pass out bread in the parking lot where we saw them, until it is gone.
Sounds like a good thing to me.
Sadly, because of the long cement wall that faces Timber Path, Rivers of Life is often the target of vandals who live near by, eager to find an open canvas for some middle of the night tagging. Disgusting. Who tags a church?
I'm only one of many people who has painted over the filth on that wall more times than I can count. And of course, the church-folk there have painted it too and as the young man told my wife, they are thankful for the volunteers that help them, in spite of never really knowing who does it. And that makes me and the other volunteers feel good.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- ► 2010 (150)
- Fear Report: Public Speaking...
- Timber Path Construction Update...
- GNWatch Appreciation Dinner Report
- Strange at The Pearl Brewery...
- Pearl Farmers Market Report: Give it a Try...
- Lunch Report: Spanky's Smokehouse on Blanco...
- All Out of Love? Really?
- Did ya Need Some Free Bread?
- Dinner Report: Mr. Cod, Part 5 (and Final I might ...
- GNWCIA Meeting Report: My Notes...
- The Remodel Report: Not One, But Two Bathrooms...
- Jury Duty Report: So Close...
- Lunch Report: Big's at Potranco and 151...
- Remod Report: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- Miss Manners: CMS?
- One For the Complaint Department...
- Lunch Report: Lea's Pulled Pork...
- River Walk Construction Update: I'm Done...
- Lunch Report: Friendly's...
- Flea Market Report: Columbus Farmers Market in NJ....
- TV Report Update: The Cleto Show...
- ▼ Jun 2009 (21)
- ► 2008 (333)