Eva's sister Madelene retired from work this week and to celebrate, we enjoyed a family get together for lunch at a place I had never been to before over on West Avenue called Jacala.
Seated with husband Armando, Nena is ready for some relaxing time with her youngest son and her grandchild. If you look closely into Armando's eyes, he is secretly saying, "Have at it!"
Located in San Antonio's Art Deco District, Jacala has been a fixture since 1949 and has been serving up Puffy Tacos and Jacalitos to the masses since.
Two things stood out (beyond the nice setting) for me: The chips and the salsa. Yum! Seriously, get there and get some. If you don't order another thing, you must experience the freshly made chips and the house salsa. I promise, the salsa is not too hot for you beginners, but the taste is simply wonderful.
We had a table full of folks and I wasn't about to go plate by plate taking pictures, but it is worth showing off a few items of interest.
Uncle Adam ordered up a plate of chicken fajitas on flour. How good does that look? I'm not a fan of Bell peppers, but the chicken looks good.
Most of us had plates that included enchiladas and puffy tacos along with rice and beans. The one on the left has a chicken puffy taco, the one on the right is beef. Who doesn't like a puffy taco? Oh, and the enchiladas? Loads of government cheese and all kinds of yum!
I liked the place. I loved the chips & salsa and my enchiladas were quite enjoyable. Need more? The parking lot had a guard watching the cars. How can you go wrong? Jacala on West Avenue is a fine place to celebrate a great career, and when it comes to vittles, it is clearly a Tasty Treat.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Jim's and Denny's: The Blanco Situation...
- One Thousand Posts... That's a lot....
- Lunch Report: Jacala on West Ave.
- Please Consider the Guy Behind You...
- Strange on Culebra: Don't Forget the Sunscreen...
- LOST: The End...
- Has It Really Been 22 Years: Happy Birthday, Roxan...
- A Little Bit About Me...
- Dinner Report: BJ's in Alamo Ranch...
- The Missing Chicken Head in Bandera...
- The Hail You Say...
- Wooden Nickle Unveiling Report: That's a Big Nickl...
- Sunday Morning Report:
- Wooden Nickle Museum Grand-Reopening...
- Breakfast Report: Tink-a-Tako on Potranco...
- Strange in HEB: Uppity Dog Food...
- New Siding and Paint...
- I Believe Bob Wacaster is Our Future...
- The Great Northwest Annual Meeting is Upon Us...
- ▼ May 2010 (19)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)