I am currently battling a ridiculous computer issue. After a solid year of complete awesomeness, my Dell desktop suddenly slowed down to a crawl. My first reaction was to think that I had some sort of Internet issue. I did one of those ISP Speed Tests and was thrilled to be getting about 56K of download speed. For those readers not familiar with the lingo, that is basically the equivalent of dialing into an old fashioned AOL account and hearing the familiar sound of the modem connecting to the other end of the line, only without the familiar “You’ve got mail”.
I was so ready to call the ISP but thought to go upstairs and do a speed test with the laptop connected to the wireless. Lickity split, I was humming along at 6 or 7 MBPS. Back to the desktop.
I won’t bore you with all the details but over the last two weeks (in between going to Oklahoma and such) I decided to do the whole reinstall of Windows XP on the computer. I have concluded after many frustrating hours that a) I am not a computer technician and b) I think I have a hardware problem, but c) since I’m no computer technician, I could be wrong.
I left a comment on Facebook that I was going to just go purchase a new computer, but my wife was quick to publicly shoot down those thoughts. So this weekend, I’m going to muddle through the painfully slow process of trial and error, downloading drivers, installing programs, troubleshooting the Ethernet card and researching the best Mac for blogging, making movies and looking at the Google. I’ve always been a PC kinda guy (he’s the fat one in the commercials) but you just shouldn’t have to go through this every year.
All my Mac Snob friends simply giggle at my plight.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Twenty Five Years of Wedded Bliss...
- Dinner Report: The Flying Pizza in Fairborn...
- The Fox News Censorship Conspiracy...
- Dinner Report: Tickets Pub & Eatery in Fairborn......
- Dinner Report: One Eyed Jacks in Fairborn...
- A Smelly Flight...
- Vandals, Little Hats, and BBQ...
- Wooden Nickel Museum Grand Re-Opening: May 15th......
- GNW Spring Fling: Saturday the 24th from 10am-2pm....
- Lunch Report: Guillermo's New Location on McCullou...
- Dinner Report: Toby Keith's in Bricktown..
- Lunch Report: Earl's Rib Palace, Bricktown...
- Lunch Report: Pops on Historic Route 66...
- Saturday Morning Notes: Computer Issues...
- Visiting The Memorial in Oklahoma City...
- Visitor Report: Oklahoma City...
- Dinner and Breakfast Report: West, TX...
- I Love This Bar and Grill - Coincidence?
- I Think I See The Smugglers...
- Silver Creek 78250: Get Your Rebate, See My Beer.....
- Get Your Rebate, See My Beer...
- Miss Eva on Fox News at 9 - Tonight...
- Lunch Report: Bracken Store Cafe...
- ▼ Apr 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)