Dave

<a href="http://silvercreek78250.blogspot.com/">Dave</a>
Your Host

Monday, April 19, 2010

Lunch Report: Guillermo's New Location on McCullough...

I reported a while back about a small restaurant downtown called Guillermo's which was located inside the YMCA on St. Mary's. I loved the bread they use. As it turns out, they moved just up the street to an old house converted to restaurant on McCullough just half a block up from St. Mary's. Further, a co-worker of mine told me that the burger there is to die for.
Being that I needed to be in a high powered business type meeting downtown anyway today, there was simply no excuse not to wrap my shirt and tie in napkins and proceed with a test of the Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger.
As they say on the Internet: Oh. My. God! Just look at it! The burger comes served on their own focaccia bread baked right there in the the restaurant. That stuff sprinkled all over the top is freshly cut/ground (I'm not sure of the proper cooking nomenclature here) Parmesan cheese. The half-pound Angus beef patty is hand packed and I am only guessing they must have some sort of seasoning in there. The sides include pickles, tomato, onion and lettuce, but all the fancy versions, not the stuff delivered from a fast food supplier. It really is something you could eat with a fork if you thought someone important was watching. In fact, if you didn't feel like adding all the salad fixings on the burger, you would have a pretty descent side-salad. Along with the fries, it was served piping hot.

I had always been a huge fan of Guillermo's salads and sandwiches and frankly, just never thought of trying the burger there. I am here to tell you, this was on the level of Lord's Kitchen, and that is quite a statement coming from me. I may have to hit Lord's one day this week just to reset my burger meter!
If you are downtown and need a serious burger, this is a must visit. Be patient because the place is busy during lunch and you may have to wait. The other thing is, do not under any circumstances attempt to eat this burger without first safeguarding your tie, and I only say that because it is embarrassing enough to spill this goodness on yourself, it is worse to have a room full of onlookers watching you lick the burger from your tie, simply because it is too wonderful to wipe-off. The Bacon-Jalapeno-Cheeseburger at Guillermo's is a Tasty Treat.

8 comments:

Maureen said...

I just started a low-fat diet today,so I'm gonna have to swing by here and get my virtual fix. That burger looks delightful. I can almost smell it. *sigh*

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

oooh that looks so good...

derek said...

Hey Dave, what's the actual address for the place? Thanks.

-Derek

www.sametrodaily.com

Dave said...

618 McCullough Ave, San Antonio
On the web: www.guillermosdowntown.com

Anonymous said...

All I know is someone is taking me there soon :)

Anonymous said...

Dave

Better than the Bracken Store Cafe?

Cheers! M2

Dave said...

At least as good. The thing is, the burger itself has some flavor to it. I am usually satisfied with just a good hunk of meat that has been minimally seasoned so I can enjoy the bun and all the fixin's. When you bite into Guillermo's burger, it has a really awesome flavor. Mouth watering, really.

Anonymous said...

Sweet, a well-seasoned burger makes all the difference! We gotta get over there soon!

Cheers! M2

About Your Host

My photo
San Antonio, TX, United States
I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.

Previous Reporting

Famous Followers of the SC78250 Blog