I reported a while back about a small restaurant downtown called Guillermo's which was located inside the YMCA on St. Mary's. I loved the bread they use. As it turns out, they moved just up the street to an old house converted to restaurant on McCullough just half a block up from St. Mary's. Further, a co-worker of mine told me that the burger there is to die for.
Being that I needed to be in a high powered business type meeting downtown anyway today, there was simply no excuse not to wrap my shirt and tie in napkins and proceed with a test of the Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger.
As they say on the Internet: Oh. My. God! Just look at it! The burger comes served on their own focaccia bread baked right there in the the restaurant. That stuff sprinkled all over the top is freshly cut/ground (I'm not sure of the proper cooking nomenclature here) Parmesan cheese. The half-pound Angus beef patty is hand packed and I am only guessing they must have some sort of seasoning in there. The sides include pickles, tomato, onion and lettuce, but all the fancy versions, not the stuff delivered from a fast food supplier. It really is something you could eat with a fork if you thought someone important was watching. In fact, if you didn't feel like adding all the salad fixings on the burger, you would have a pretty descent side-salad. Along with the fries, it was served piping hot.
I had always been a huge fan of Guillermo's salads and sandwiches and frankly, just never thought of trying the burger there. I am here to tell you, this was on the level of Lord's Kitchen, and that is quite a statement coming from me. I may have to hit Lord's one day this week just to reset my burger meter!
If you are downtown and need a serious burger, this is a must visit. Be patient because the place is busy during lunch and you may have to wait. The other thing is, do not under any circumstances attempt to eat this burger without first safeguarding your tie, and I only say that because it is embarrassing enough to spill this goodness on yourself, it is worse to have a room full of onlookers watching you lick the burger from your tie, simply because it is too wonderful to wipe-off. The Bacon-Jalapeno-Cheeseburger at Guillermo's is a Tasty Treat.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Twenty Five Years of Wedded Bliss...
- Dinner Report: The Flying Pizza in Fairborn...
- The Fox News Censorship Conspiracy...
- Dinner Report: Tickets Pub & Eatery in Fairborn......
- Dinner Report: One Eyed Jacks in Fairborn...
- A Smelly Flight...
- Vandals, Little Hats, and BBQ...
- Wooden Nickel Museum Grand Re-Opening: May 15th......
- GNW Spring Fling: Saturday the 24th from 10am-2pm....
- Lunch Report: Guillermo's New Location on McCullou...
- Dinner Report: Toby Keith's in Bricktown..
- Lunch Report: Earl's Rib Palace, Bricktown...
- Lunch Report: Pops on Historic Route 66...
- Saturday Morning Notes: Computer Issues...
- Visiting The Memorial in Oklahoma City...
- Visitor Report: Oklahoma City...
- Dinner and Breakfast Report: West, TX...
- I Love This Bar and Grill - Coincidence?
- I Think I See The Smugglers...
- Silver Creek 78250: Get Your Rebate, See My Beer.....
- Get Your Rebate, See My Beer...
- Miss Eva on Fox News at 9 - Tonight...
- Lunch Report: Bracken Store Cafe...
- ▼ Apr 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)