On our first afternoon in OKC and following a solid gut-stuffing at Pops in Arcadia, my son gave us a tour of Bricktown's version of the San Antonio Riverwalk. You can see pictures over on the Flickr Page. One of the places we walked by, Earl's smelled so incredibly wonderful that we knew we would be coming back for a snack.
Following our visit to the Cowboy and Western Museum, we had developed quite an appetite and decided it was time for a little barbecue goodness. And we hit Earl's just after the lunch rush.
Inside the place, it is your typical cover the walls with stuff to look at formula (which I happen to like) with an emphasis on the Oklahoma City Thunder NBA team and their star, Kevin Durant, and of course, upside down UT Longhorns reflecting the fact that the OU Sooners are just a mile or two down the road in Norman. They had a bunch of licence plates on the wall and we noticed that all the Texas plates were upside down as well. It's all in good fun, though as a side note, my son did not take too kindly to the Texas Roadhouse nearby flying the Texas Flag upside down, and we made the appropriate calls to management. You can only take a joke so far!
My wife and I decided Pulled Pork Sammies were the order of the day, though there was some minor confusion with my wife's order. She ended up with the plate versus the sandwich served with some green onions and a piece of Texas Toast (not upside down, but cut in half). She also got a side of some potato salad that didn't work for her but I thought was pretty good.
I got the sandwich with some green beans. Good stuff. The pulled pork was very good and they offered both a mild and a slightly spicier sauce at the table. Don't get me wrong, not San Antonio spicy, but a soothing kick nonetheless. The buns were done right; grilled but still soft and fresh on top.
My son got a local favorite, The Smokestack which is chopped brisket and a hot link topped with Cole slaw (though he took his on the side). Yum! And as usual, he went with the fried okra. It's a vegetable, you know. And by the way, the Cole slaw was delicious.
All pokes at Texas aside, Earl's was a good value, the staff was friendly, the place was clean, and we all enjoyed it. Could you find better in Texas? Of course you could! But don't let that stop you if you happen to be in OKC; Earl's in Bricktown is a Tasty Treat.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Twenty Five Years of Wedded Bliss...
- Dinner Report: The Flying Pizza in Fairborn...
- The Fox News Censorship Conspiracy...
- Dinner Report: Tickets Pub & Eatery in Fairborn......
- Dinner Report: One Eyed Jacks in Fairborn...
- A Smelly Flight...
- Vandals, Little Hats, and BBQ...
- Wooden Nickel Museum Grand Re-Opening: May 15th......
- GNW Spring Fling: Saturday the 24th from 10am-2pm....
- Lunch Report: Guillermo's New Location on McCullou...
- Dinner Report: Toby Keith's in Bricktown..
- Lunch Report: Earl's Rib Palace, Bricktown...
- Lunch Report: Pops on Historic Route 66...
- Saturday Morning Notes: Computer Issues...
- Visiting The Memorial in Oklahoma City...
- Visitor Report: Oklahoma City...
- Dinner and Breakfast Report: West, TX...
- I Love This Bar and Grill - Coincidence?
- I Think I See The Smugglers...
- Silver Creek 78250: Get Your Rebate, See My Beer.....
- Get Your Rebate, See My Beer...
- Miss Eva on Fox News at 9 - Tonight...
- Lunch Report: Bracken Store Cafe...
- ▼ Apr 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)