Just a block over from my hotel in Dayton is a mall and loads of eating places to choose from. You can't ask for a better location for convenience. I pulled into a small strip shopping center that seemed to be anchored with a Texas Roadhouse. If all else failed, I had planned to grab a familiar staple to go.
As I was driving through the lot, I caught a glimpse of One Eyed Jacks, a pub with a noticeable sign on the glass: Reubens. That was all I needed to know!
Inside, it looked like a standard pub with the usual signage, beer coolers and taps. I took a seat at the bar and asked if I could get some vittles to go. The bartendress smartly suggested something to drink as I waited, and she offered me a sample of a beer called Great Lakes. A little sweet, but I had a pint while I waited.
Also while I waited, a guy who appeared to be a regular sat at the stool beside mine and began to play some sort of a Find the Difference computer game. You know that cartoon in the Sunday paper where they show two frames of the same picture, only a few items are different? The man's tie is always different, a shoelace is missing or a picture on the wall has appeared. In this game, it featured nekkid women. How cute. And apparently this guy has played the game quite a few times because he was damn good at picking out the differences.
The menu had a full selection of pub favorites - wings, burgers, and such, but I was pretty sure when I came in, I wanted the Reuben. I substituted fries for the batter dipped onion rings (of course) and enjoyed the smoke-free atmosphere while I finished the beer.
I made the short trip back to the hotel and found that the food was wonderfully piping hot. The Reuben was stuffed full! I'm not a huge fan of sauerkraut on hot dogs, but on the Reuben, it just works.
The onion rings are beer battered exactly like I need them. A perfect compliment.
Great service, a nice beer selection and an awesome Reuben, One Eyed Jacks in Fairborn hit the spot with a Tasty Treat.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Twenty Five Years of Wedded Bliss...
- Dinner Report: The Flying Pizza in Fairborn...
- The Fox News Censorship Conspiracy...
- Dinner Report: Tickets Pub & Eatery in Fairborn......
- Dinner Report: One Eyed Jacks in Fairborn...
- A Smelly Flight...
- Vandals, Little Hats, and BBQ...
- Wooden Nickel Museum Grand Re-Opening: May 15th......
- GNW Spring Fling: Saturday the 24th from 10am-2pm....
- Lunch Report: Guillermo's New Location on McCullou...
- Dinner Report: Toby Keith's in Bricktown..
- Lunch Report: Earl's Rib Palace, Bricktown...
- Lunch Report: Pops on Historic Route 66...
- Saturday Morning Notes: Computer Issues...
- Visiting The Memorial in Oklahoma City...
- Visitor Report: Oklahoma City...
- Dinner and Breakfast Report: West, TX...
- I Love This Bar and Grill - Coincidence?
- I Think I See The Smugglers...
- Silver Creek 78250: Get Your Rebate, See My Beer.....
- Get Your Rebate, See My Beer...
- Miss Eva on Fox News at 9 - Tonight...
- Lunch Report: Bracken Store Cafe...
- ▼ Apr 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)