We had to make a short run to Wal-Mart in Alamo Ranch so I could purchase a DVD burner, and my wife mentioned wanting to grab a quick evening snack instead of dinner.
I had a coupon for a free appetizer at the Sporting News Grill inside the new Green (AlGore Approved) Holiday Inn over off of High Way 151, and even though I couldn't find the coupon in question, we decided to give it a shot anyway.
When I travel for work, this is exactly the type of hotel I'm looking for. I don't care about the brand name or whether or not the place is energy efficient, but I want it to have a bar & grill where you can go in, get dinner have a few cool pops and enjoy a bunch of TV's spread all over the place with multiple sporting events on. Best of all, you need a place that is clean and for me, smoke free.
We ordered up some cool beverages and a sampler tray called The Dugout (I think) with some chicken strips, quesadillas, wings, and some awesome beer battered onion rings. These more than made up for the less than stellar rings we tried at lunch. The wings were okay, the chicken strips were good but my wife did not think the quesadillas were a good representation of San Antonio. So I ate hers.
We enjoyed the atmosphere, the sampler and all the TV's. I was pleased that my beer was a dollar off since there was a Spurs game on, but my wife ordered a Pina Colada and made the mistake of watching the bartender put Cool Whip in it, and that sort of made her think it was funny tasting. Who knows? Do you like the lounge scene without all the smoke? Drop by Sporting News Grill on 151 and give 'em a shot.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Lunch Report: Longhorn at 1604 and I-10...
- Fan Mail Report: Spicy!
- LOST!: Can't Wait!
- Parking Report: Compact Only, I Guess...
- Crap on Your Car...
- Suspicious Noise Report: I Can't Hear it Either.....
- Mall Report: The Shops at La Cantera...
- Saints Win: Pants Fall...
- Reporting Meetings Report: No Report...
- Dinner Report: Five Guys in Westpointe on Highway ...
- The HEB Conspiracy: Blueberry Activia...
- Taco Report: Mya's on Culebra near 1604...
- Lunch Report: San Antonio Burger Co....
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- My Drive on Culebra Today...
- Follow-up Dining Notes: Ruby Tuesday...
- Conan Vs. Jay: Again?
- RIP: Det. Arnulfo Chavarria...
- Strange at Sea Island: Hats...
- Evening Snack Report: Sporting News Grill on 151.....
- Lunch Report: T.J.'s on New Laredo Highway...
- 2010 Polar Bear Swim
- Strange on New Years Eve: The Things I Saw...
- ▼ Jan 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)