Of course we have had the Five Guys discussion here before; first during a trip to Baltimore where I got my first taste, then later in Panama City Beach where my son and I enjoyed the melt in your mouth goodness of Five Guys. And of course, now we have Five Guys very close by on 151 just west of Loop 410.
And it was even my wife's idea to go and try them out, since she had never experienced Five Guys. Somehow, that just didn't come out the way I meant it.
If you know the chain, you'll recognize the sign and the set-up.
Five Guys uses boxes of peanuts to create a walk-way to keep hungry fans in line until it is their turn to order. Not to worry, the process is quick. By the way, I noticed nobody was tossing the peanut shells on the floor which I seemed to recall from other locations. I opted not to be the first.
The inside looks the same. You order, grab a cup to self-serve your drinks and find a place to sit. Before long, they are calling your number and you are increasing the likelihood that you'll end up on the gurney headed for the heart doctor. It's that simple.
Since my wife had never been, the young lady taking our order explained the process. The regular burgers come with two patties and the little burgers come with a single. I promise, if your order the little burger and fires, you will still be stuffed. Anyway, the burger comes dry so to speak, and you tell them what condiments you want on it. So say you want a single bacon cheese burger, you'd say, "I'd like the little bacon cheeseburger with mayo, grilled onions, pickles, mustard, lettuce, tomato, grilled jalapenos, grilled mushrooms and a small bottle of Tums."
In my wife's case, she got the little cheeseburger, mayo, lettuce, pickle, tomato, ketchup and mustard. Just look at how fresh the bun is. And the pickles are so crispy and fresh. The burgers are cooked through but you won't find them overdone. That is a must for me. Rarely does my wife utter the word "Perfect" when describing a burger, but Five Guys won her over.
Do not order the large fries under any circumstances unless you are with a family of five. The regular order of fries is easily enough for two to three people. And, I simply love them.
I went with the bacon cheese burger with mayo, grilled onions, mustard, grilled jalapenos, lettuce, and pickles. Again, the fresh bun, the crispity bacon and the gooey melted cheese is a combo I love, especially when the cook is happy to slather on enough mayo to cause my arteries to look in the Yellow Pages for a cardiologist. I am going to have to limit my intake of this stuff, because I can easily see it being habit forming.
Finally, we have a Five Guys within a short drive from our house. If you have never been, now is your chance to see what they are all about. For what amounts to a fast-food restaurant, Five Guys is an awesomely wonderful Tasty Treat.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Lunch Report: Longhorn at 1604 and I-10...
- Fan Mail Report: Spicy!
- LOST!: Can't Wait!
- Parking Report: Compact Only, I Guess...
- Crap on Your Car...
- Suspicious Noise Report: I Can't Hear it Either.....
- Mall Report: The Shops at La Cantera...
- Saints Win: Pants Fall...
- Reporting Meetings Report: No Report...
- Dinner Report: Five Guys in Westpointe on Highway ...
- The HEB Conspiracy: Blueberry Activia...
- Taco Report: Mya's on Culebra near 1604...
- Lunch Report: San Antonio Burger Co....
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- My Drive on Culebra Today...
- Follow-up Dining Notes: Ruby Tuesday...
- Conan Vs. Jay: Again?
- RIP: Det. Arnulfo Chavarria...
- Strange at Sea Island: Hats...
- Evening Snack Report: Sporting News Grill on 151.....
- Lunch Report: T.J.'s on New Laredo Highway...
- 2010 Polar Bear Swim
- Strange on New Years Eve: The Things I Saw...
- ▼ Jan 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)