Have you been glued to the coverage of the NBC Jay Leno vs. Conan O’Brien situation? This is important stuff, folks, therefore I must pipe in with an opinion. The important thing you need to know is that above all, David Letterman is no longer watchable.
We watch KENS-5 10PM newscast, then immediately switch the tube over to NBC so we can watch Conan. When Jay Leno first went off the air, we were mostly bummed because we just weren’t sure if Conan would be for us. Sure, we had watched his monologue via the DVR from time to time, but it wasn't a fixture each night. But starting with his first show in the new slot, it took no time at all to adapt.
When Leno showed up again for his prime-time show, we gave it a shot. Aside from his monologue and when he does Headlines, the show is simply unwatchable. The interaction between Leno and bandleader Kevin Eubanks is mostly lame. Conan on the other hand routinely ad-libs with announcer and Ed McMahon-like sidekick Andy Richter as well as incorporating band members Max Weinberg and LaBamba in skits. What you see is personality, humor and etertainment.
For some reason however, I guess Conan has not caught on with the right demographic. They say that, even though Leno had easily beat Letterman in the same time slot for years,Conan just isn't getting it done. Who are they asking? I do like the fact that both Leno and O'Brien are quick to joke about it. You get the sense that this is not about the two of them personally, but that they both recognize their network sucks.
It now looks as though NBC is planning to take the watchable portion of the Leno show, put it on for half an hour after the news, then play the full hour of Conan. I suppose. I guess we’ll have to go back to DVR’ing Conan’s monologue for next day viewing. Either way, in spite of the fact that I had been a huge fan of David Letterman for years, he just doesn’t fit into the rotation for me anymore.
About Your Host
- San Antonio, TX, United States
- I love to observe the odd things happening around me as I go about my day. I especially like it when I can get a picture of people being themselves. Here, I attempt to report the various people and events I have encountered in my neighborhood, and my city. I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail your experiences and photos of life in San Antonio.
Sites For San Antonio
- About San Antonio
- Artichoke Anathema
- Bexar County Line
- Braun Station West
- City Data - San Antonio
- Concerned in SA
- Craigs List
- Great Northwest
- KENS-5 TV
- Live From the Alamo City
- Living Out Here
- MySA (Express-News)
- SA Metro Daily
- San Antonio & Austin Radio
- San Antonio Burger Blog
- San Antonio Daily Photo
- San Antonio Hams
- San Antonio Lightning
- San Antonio Remembers
- San Antonio Spyglass
- Strange in San Antonio
- Texas Cooking
- Texas Escapes
- The Cleto Show
- The Dish on Food
- The SA Airport
- Views of Texas
Blogs I Visit From Time to Time
- Lunch Report: Longhorn at 1604 and I-10...
- Fan Mail Report: Spicy!
- LOST!: Can't Wait!
- Parking Report: Compact Only, I Guess...
- Crap on Your Car...
- Suspicious Noise Report: I Can't Hear it Either.....
- Mall Report: The Shops at La Cantera...
- Saints Win: Pants Fall...
- Reporting Meetings Report: No Report...
- Dinner Report: Five Guys in Westpointe on Highway ...
- The HEB Conspiracy: Blueberry Activia...
- Taco Report: Mya's on Culebra near 1604...
- Lunch Report: San Antonio Burger Co....
- Friday Notes: Busy, Busy, Busy...
- My Drive on Culebra Today...
- Follow-up Dining Notes: Ruby Tuesday...
- Conan Vs. Jay: Again?
- RIP: Det. Arnulfo Chavarria...
- Strange at Sea Island: Hats...
- Evening Snack Report: Sporting News Grill on 151.....
- Lunch Report: T.J.'s on New Laredo Highway...
- 2010 Polar Bear Swim
- Strange on New Years Eve: The Things I Saw...
- ▼ Jan 2010 (23)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (333)